At Greenbelt Veterinary Hospital, it is our policy to take every possible step to ensure that our patients receive the very best pharmaceutical products available. Veterinarians are required to have a valid client/patient/veterinarian relationship in order to prescribe certain medications for patients. We carry a number of prescription products, veterinary prescription diets and products labeled by the manufacturer for "sale by licensed veterinarians only."
Products from our ONLINE STORE will be shipped directly to your home by our Pet Portal service, VetStreet Solutions. Please be assured our veterinarians have complete control of the prescriptions and monitor for compliance and refills, just as if the product was being purchased at our location.
All manufacturers of prescriptive products listed with our ONLINE STORE maintain a policy of sales exclusively through licensed veterinarians. They stand behind their products when they are used as directed and purchased from a licensed veterinarian, a guarantee that other well-known drug warehouses cannot provide. Many of these catalog/telephone/online pet pharmacy sources (those sources not operated by veterinary hospitals or clinics and herein referred to as "discount houses") have disputable reputations, and we feel our clients should be aware of the risks they are taking when ordering from these discount houses.
To assist you in making informed decisions when placing orders for your pet's pharmaceutical needs, we offer the following information:
- Many discount houses cannot obtain specific veterinary products directly from the manufacturer. Please be aware many have been known to manipulate their words as to how certain veterinary products were obtained, e.g., they may report the product is from "x" manufacturer, safely avoiding that they were not purchased directly from "x" manufacturer.
- Often, sales from discount houses are through non-approved channels; most product guarantees from manufacturers are null and void if their products are obtained through non-approved channels. This includes the guarantee reimbursement programs for flea control as well as all heartworm and intestinal parasite claims.
- Most discount houses will not divulge from whom they are purchasing their veterinary specific products.
- Pharmaceuticals manufactured and labeled for use in other countries (namely Australia) have been illegally diverted and sold through many of these discount houses in the United States.
- Counterfeit products have been produced. More information may be found on The Environmental Protection Agency's websites: www.EPA.gov/opp00001/health/pets.htm and www.EPA.gov/pesticides/fact sheets/petproduct.htm.
- The FDA and State Boards of Pharmacy have cited some discount houses for violating prescribing procedures. One very large 'discount house' was fined over $100,000.00 by the EPA and Florida Department of Health. You will find more information regarding this on the following website: http://www.EPA.gov/region04/oeapages/02press/012302.htm. The Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners and the Texas Pharmacy Board have also sued this particular discount house. You will find more information concerning this lawsuit at the following website: http://www.dvmnewsmagazine.com/dvm/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=37514.
- Greenbelt Pet Pharmacy provides you, our client, with convenience and competitive prices. Not only are our prices competitive, but you will also find them lower in many cases!
Greenbelt prides itself in offering our clients professional, superior service, and we trust you will enjoy the advantages of using our ONLINE STORE. Of course, you will still be able to obtain prescriptions and food products at Greenbelt. However, if you decide to purchase your product at one of the discount houses and request a written prescription from us, a prescription will be written for you according to the following guidelines:
- All state and federal prescribing laws apply the same online as when purchasing the medication/food at Greenbelt Veterinary Hospital.
- There is no charge for a written prescription.
- All written prescriptions must be picked up at Greenbelt Veterinary Hospital or will be mailed directly to the client.
- To avoid any potential doctor-patient confidentiality issues, we will not communicate (telephone, fax or email) with the discount house. You will be responsible for sending the written prescription to the discount house. This includes any requests for prescription refills.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that the prescription is filled, labeled, shipped and used correctly. We cannot be responsible if the discount houses send counterfeit or unauthorized products to you.
- We will not become involved in any product failure issues for products purchased through these discount houses. This includes any prescription or nonprescription products.
- If you change your mind after we have written a prescription for you, we will be unable to fill the prescription for you until you return the written prescription form to us.